This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CreateYourBowl #CollectiveBias
Life gets busy. It happens. Some days feel like a total non-stop rollercoaster with barely any time in between to sit down to eat. Which is why I’m really big on family dinners. No matter what is happening, we try to make sure we’re sitting down together at a decent time, enjoying a nice meal. Some times, it’s a super simple meal (grilled cheese+green smoothies are popular over here) but there is one day of the week we rarely ever forego: Taco Tuesday!
Taco Tuesday is K’s absolute favourite dinner time of the week and we all look forward to it. We’ve been trying to switch it up so we’re not eating the same tacos with fillings week after week. We love mixing up the fillings, and recently, we switched up our usual taco wraps for the fun OLD EL PASO tortilla bowls and made some delicious vegetarian quinoa taco bowls. They were a huge hit!
The tortilla bowls are new to me and I found them in the Mexican section of our local Loblaws. I knew they’d be a big hit with K.
We’ve run into our share fair of taco wraps falling apart and not holding up, so I was a bit hesitant about the bowls, but they stood up on their own and didn’t fall apart in the slightest. Plus, they just made the taco bowls look so fun and clean-up was definitely easier.
Whether you’re filling them with the usual taco fixings, or mixing it up with something unique like quinoa or baja fish tacos, the bowls definitely work well for presentation and ensure nothing falls out. I saw they also had some mini bowls, which would be great for party appetizers.
Themed food nights, like taco night or pizza night, are such a great way to bring the family together. They’re also a good opportunity to help get the little ones involved with helping out. K loves to shred the cheese, plate everything and help serve. As he gets older, he can help with more and more.
I’m pretty sure Taco Tuesday will be a “forever” tradition in our home and since we love experimenting with new and delicious recipes, I’m excited to share this new vegetarian quinoa taco night special with you. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Quinoa Taco Bowls
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each: cumin, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder (this is for a kid-friendly recipe but go ahead and add more chili powder if you like spice!)
- 1/2 head shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 each red pepper and orange pepper
- 1/4 cup cooked corn kernals
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, diced
- guacamole (we used our homemade that we made for our taco dip, but you can also use store-bought)
- any other preferred toppings or sauces, such as salsa or sour cream
- Add quinoa, veggie broth and spices into a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook until stock is absorbed and quinoa is done – approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In the meantime, chop up all the veggies and get the fixings ready.
- To assemble quinoa taco bowls, simply place one bowl on a plate and line it with the lettuce. Add the quinoa mixture next and then add the peppers, corn and cheese. Top with your choice of sauces – we used guacamole and salsa, but sour cream would also be delicious here. Sprinkle with the green onions. Serve.
What is your favourite way to each tacos? Leave a comment here to let me know.