When it comes to beauty products, I prefer to keep things minimal over here. Our bathroom cabinet and drawers aren’t over-flowing with items that are barely used and I have very little time to spend in the bathroom now with 2 little ones. I don’t even own a bottle of hairspray or hair gel. For real. *Side note: I’m hopeless when it comes to hair. A brush and a blow dryer (with some rare curler use) are about all I can manage when it comes to haircare. But as a mom, I believe the simpler the better. And as a green advocate, I want to make sure the products I do use are natural, safe and free of toxic, cancer-causing ingredients. Especially when it comes to skincare products. Which is why I’m so pumped to be a part of the #GMCBeauty event, helping promote natural beauty products and get the word out about harmful ingredients in conventional beauty products. Why am I so careful about this? Because even though it can be easy to forget, our skin is our largest organ. Everything we put on it is eventually absorbed into our bodies and bloodstream. Cutting out toxins in this area of life is huge for me and if you’re just beginning to get into the green lifestyle, your beauty and cosmetic cabinet is the best place to start. If you keep things simple, this can really cut down on any extra costs you’ll be investing in when it comes to natural products. I recently had the opportunity to try out some amazing green beauty products by some rad Canadian companies who are working hard to create safe and natural beauty and skincare products, so I’m now incorporating these into my daily routines.
My simple eco skincare routine for morning and night is pretty easy and takes a maximum of 10 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night. Here’s how it goes:
- Wash face. I’m currently using Pure+Simple’s Organic Spearmint Face + Body Wash. This wash is refreshing and perfect for both the face and body, so I often bring it into the shower with me. Why not? It only contains 6 organic ingredients, which is amazing compared to the never-ending list of toxic ingredients in many beauty products. Plus, it’s organic, vegan, and made from coconut-derived ingredients. I love that it’s a two-in-one product so it can be used for both the face and body.
- Moisturize face and body (especially in the dry months like Winter). I’ve been experimenting with different facial moisturizers as of late and was excited to see how many different options Pure+Simple has. They’re also all organic, vegan and made with natural, safe ingredients.
- Put on some light makeup. With makeup, I also tend to normally keep things simple. Light concealer, foundation and powder in one, and a bit of mascara. I also like to use a fairly neutral eyeshadow, especially if I’m heading out somewhere nice or meeting up with friends. I am loving Pure+Simple’s mineral makeup, especially the Champagne Glow eye shadow kit. I always wear this type of natural colour palette, and there is a great mix of colours in here, from everyday to a night out. The eyeshadows are made of 100% pressed minerals with no silicons or petroleum-based derivatives. The colours are pigmented and don’t contain any chemicals, dyes or perfumes, plus they’re also vegan. These colours are great and light and very simple. Add some gloss and they can be used for everyday, work, or even going out at night.
- Voila, that’s it. Easy, right?
- Wash and tone face. Again, I use Pure+Simple’s wash. They also have a great line of toners for different skin types. I know I should probably tone in the morning too, but to be honest, I often cut this step out for lack of time.
- Use a mask (1-2 times per week) and exfoliator. I love facial masks, especially clay masks. They make my skin feel amazingly smooth and healthy after using a mask coupled with an exfoliator. I just started using Pure+Simple’s Purifying French Clay Mask. This mask is especially awesome for oily and acne-prone skin. Since I’m still in the postpartum stage and also breastfeeding, my hormones are working hard right now and this is great at keeping things in check. I also naturally have oily skin, so clay masks work well for me since they control oil production. I use this mask once or twice a week and love that it’s also vegan like the rest of their products. The mask can also be used as a spot treatment for overnight use for blemishes.
- Moisturize face and body.
- Dab on natural eye cream.
What does your routine look like? Is there any area in the green beauty routine you’re still struggling with? I’d love to know and can help give you a hint or two:)