It feels like we went from winter to summer over here in just a couple short weeks. While I’m not complaining, it means a change in eating as well. Hearty soups and hot dishes are not as appealing in hot, hot weather. Instead, fresh fruit, salads, smoothies and delicious light appetizers and snacks are what many of us are feeling. The seven layer taco dip has been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. But for some reason, I’ve never made it before! That all changed recently and I have to say, I don’t think I’ll be buying it from our local grocer any time soon. I was surprised at how easy it is to make, plus much more affordable. We made our own guacamole, mixed cream cheese with Gay Lea’s creamy sour cream, used store-bought salsa (homemade would be even better but we didn’t have any on hand), chopped up a few veggies and shredded a bit of cheese. In less than 15 minutes, we had an amazing and yummy snack.
This seven layer taco dip is the perfect thing to bring to a summer get-together or to make for those afternoon snack cravings.
Seven Layer Taco Dip Ingredients
*Note: this makes a party size dip. For a small-medium snack size, just halve the ingredients.
- 425 ml sour cream – we used Gay Lea low fat because the hubby bought it. I normally buy their richer and decadent Gold Premium sour cream (which is also certified Kosher and nut-free!), but either one is delicious and will work
- 200 ml cream cheese
- 1 cup guacamole (recipe below, or store-bought if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tomato, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- Deep dish big enough for layering (an 8×8 glass baking dish will also work)
Homemade Guacamole Ingredients and Directions
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp diced tomato (can omit if you don’t like tomatoes)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mash the avocados until they are smooth. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- First, start off by making the guacamole.
- Next, mix the sour cream and cream cheese together until smooth (a whisk works well for this job).
- Start your layering by adding the guacamole to the bottom of the dish. Add the sour cream/cream cheese mix on top, followed by the salsa.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top of the salsa, followed by the cheese. Top the cheese with the tomato and olives.
- Serve with some yummy tortilla chips:)
“Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”
Stop by HEN Family’s Healthy Snacks and Apps board for some drool-worthy inspiration
Leave a Reply