We just picked up 10 pounds of organic blueberry goodness and the first thing I did with them, after eating handfuls, was make my favourite raw blueberry banana cream pie. It’s really simple and quick to make, has minimal ingredients, is healthy, and doesn’t even require baking. This last fact is perfect for scorching hot summer days like the ones we’ve been having lately. The best part about this pie is that it’s actually healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast, but sweet and delicious enough to make the perfect dessert. We actually had it for dessert the night I made it, and then finished it off for breakfast the next morning. So, there you. If you make this pie, you can have dessert AND breakfast all ready:)
Raw Blueberry Banana Cream Pie
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Pecans
- 1/3 Cup Dates
*Note: You can omit the pecans and substitute for more walnuts. I used all three for this pie, but it also works great using 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup almonds.
- 2 1/2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Chia
- 1/4 Cup Dates
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Cream (use only the thick cream from the top of the can – refrigerator the can overnight beforehand if possible)
- For the crust: In a food processor, process the nuts and dates until you have a very fine mixture with no large pieces left. Take the mixture and press it firmly and evenly into a pie plate, making sure it covers the bottom and goes at least partway up the sides. You can use a piece of parchment paper if need be.
- For the filling: Reserve 1-1 1/2 cups of the blueberries and set aside.
- Add the remaining blueberries, banana, dates and coconut cream to the food processor. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the remaining whole blueberries and chia. Pour over the pie shell and set in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hour. I find placing the pie in the freezer for about 20 minutes prior to serving helps harden it up perfectly.
- Prior to serving, slice up bananas and walnuts and place on top of the pie.