Any mom knows that recovery after the birth of a child can be tricky and it is so important to rest and heal. Postpartum care is so important and a postpartum healing bath can work wonders. I found one of my favourite healing remedies was a daily herbal bath. My massage therapist gave me some amazing muslin bags filled with these healing herbs. They are really easy to make on your own if you have access to dried herbs (our local natural food and wellness store sells dried herbs in bulk and you can also find them online). Here is the recipe for a great postpartum healing bath.
*NOTE: I know some women are given restrictions on baths for the first while, so please make sure you check with your healthcare provider to ensure baths are safe for you first.
- 1 cup Epsom salts or baking soda – natural detoxifier with essential minerals.
- 60 ml Calendula – this is one of the most healing, anti-inflammatory herbs out there and perfect for post-natal treatment.
- 60ml of Chamomile – This herb is a natural anti-bacterial and also helps with relaxation.
- 60 ml Yarrow Flower – This herb is an awesome antifungal and anti-bacterial.
- 60 ml Witch Hazel – Often used as a natural remedy for hemorrhoids, witch hazel has anti-inflammatory compounds as well. Make sure you get it in dried form and not its usual liquid form.
- 60 ml Lavender – This amazing herb that promotes relaxation and restfulness is also a natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and an antioxidant.
Method: Combine all herbs in a muslin bag or any type of natural cotton bag that will allow the herbs to steep through without getting any of the actual dried herbs in the water (not a big deal if a few pieces float out). A large, reusable bag intended for loose tea would also do the trick. Fill up your bath and soak your bag for about 10 minutes or set to let the herbs infuse, squeezing it every couple of minutes to get the most out. This can be left in the bath while you bathe too. I’d also recommend having a quick warm rinse-off in the shower after so that the Epsom salts don’t dry our your skin too much.
Massage Melbourne CBD says
This is interesting recipe.
Great recipe! Wish I had seen this after my son was born. I look forward to more great home remedies though.