These homemade nutty chocolate chip energy bars replicate the Lara Bar recipe, with some ingredient differences. To be honest, I hadn’t tried an actual Lara Bar before attempting my own and I definitely prefer this homemade recipe to the actual “real” thing. Full of vitamins and energy-boosting ingredients, these are a big favourite in our home. I will often double the batch and freeze half of it, which comes in handy down the road. I hope you love these delicious energy bars as much as we do.
Nutty Chocolate Chip Energy Bars
- 3/4 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 1 cup Dates (soaked in warm water beforehand if not soft)
- 1/2 cup Quick Oats
- 2 tbsp Nut Butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Water (optional)
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/8 cup Quick Oats
- Process nuts in a food processor until very fine – not quite-sand-like, but very small granules.
- Add dates and process again until the dates are very well broken up and the mixture starts to stick together.
- Add quick oats, nut butter and vanilla extract and process again for about 30 seconds or until the mixture really comes together. It should be sticky enough that it will hold together when pressed.
- If the mixture feels too dry, add the tablespoon of water and process again.
- Remove the mixture and add to a bowl. Mix in the chocolate chips and the remaining quick oats *Note: If your mixture feels dry enough to you and not very sticky, you can leave out the remaining quick oats.
- Line an 8×8 square dish with parchment paper. Press the mixture firmly into the dish, making sure it is even throughout. Place the pan in the refrigerator for about an hour or so before you cut them into squares. Store in the refrigerator or freeze. To freeze, wrap tightly in tin foil and place in a plastic bag, or use a glass container.
I hope you enjoy these energy bars as much as we do:)
These look so delicious!
I’ve been looking for a recipe just like this to make for my daughter — thanks! She loves Lara bars and these would be perfect! I really prefer to make my own as opposed to buy 🙂
My son loves these too and they are definitely cheaper than buying. Hope you like them:)
Ashlee Jacobs Mayer says
Looks easy and delicious. I know my toddler will love them!
These look so good!! I love Lara bars but never buy them because of the price. Trying these immediately! 😉
Oh good I hope you enjoy them!