Kid-Friendly Vegetarian Chilli (from Richardo Cuisine)
- 1 can 14 oz (398 ml) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 14 oz (398 ml) pinto beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 14 oz (398 ml) black beans beans, rinsed and drained
- In a saucepan, brown the onion in the oil. Add the garlic, bell pepper, carrots, celery and chili pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. *I started with 1/2 tsp of chilli powder. You can add more at the end if you find you prefer more spice.
- Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, broth, spices and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and it has the consistency of a thick chili. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Taste and add more chilli powder if desired.
- Spoon the chili into bowls. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and add a big dollop of sour cream or yogurt. *Note: I love the bread bowls that Ricardo Cuisine uses and if I can find small enough bread loaves, I will definitely do this next time.
To make this chilli vegan, all you need to do is either omit the cheese and sour cream, or opt for vegan cheese (shredded Daiya is our favourite) and a non-dairy yogurt or vegan sour cream.
Oh hi, sour cream dollop.