Does Christmas some times leave you stressed out? About present-buying, the money spent, the lack of time to do it all? Are you looking for a simple, but affordable DIY gift that would be perfect for a member of your family and also make a great gift for your child’s teacher? This DIY healthy brownie mix in a jar has been a go-to gift of mine for years now. I’ve given it to everyone from my sweet-tooth mom to my totally awesome hairdresser. Who doesn’t love brownies? And who doesn’t love a delicious DIY handmade gift? This brownie mix is really simple and requires VERY little work on the giftee’s end – I’m talking throw it all in a bowl, mix in a few liquids, stir it up, place it in the oven, forget about it for 20 minutes, then devour the chocolately goodness. Easy peasy, right? Oh, did I mention it’s actually healthy? Okay, so it has chocolate in it, but remember when I talked about how chocolate is healthy? True story. Plus, this handmade gift will work for any vegans on your gift list as it can easily be made with non-dairy milk and chocolate chips. Oh, and since this recipes calls for a wee bit of maple syrup, for a lovely added touch, you can also pick up a small bottle of maple syrup to go along with it to make it extra special.
To make things extra easy for you, I’ve even included a free printable that you can use for a gift tag as well as as the recipe instructions. Could it get any simpler? Seriously, 15 minutes tops.
So, for the easiest, yummiest and simplest edible gift idea, here it is!
DIY Healthy Brownie Mix (Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups Flour (I used whole wheat, but spelt or regular would also work)
- 1/2 cup raw Cacao Powder or Cocoa Powder (I just love the added health benefits of raw cacao, but keep in mind that it is less sweet than regular cocoa powder)
- 3/4 cup Cane Sugar or unrefined dry sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips (use dairy-free to make this vegan)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Empty large mason or canning jar or other similar-sized jar
- Decorative top and string
- Paper for printing and cardstock for the back
- Start by mixing the flour, baking powder and sea salt together in a medium-sized bowl. Add this to the empty jar and shake around so it is an even layer.
- Next, add the cacao or cocoa powder layer. On top of this, add the sugar. Lastly, add the chocolate chips for the nice top layer.
- Cover with your piece of material or decorative top and tie with a string.
- Print out the Brownie Mix label and directions free printable. Cut out the two – label and baking instructions. I glued my brownie label onto card stock, which adds a nice touch, but it’s optional. Use a hole punch and tie the string through these two and then around the jar. That’s it, you’re done!