It’s strawberry season! Can you tell I’m excited? I think I look forward to this time of year beginning in January, when we are in the depths of bitter cold and knee deep in snow. For me, strawberry season has always signalled the beginning of summer: sunshine, sticky days, warm nights, jam-making and gorging myself on as many local strawberries as I can. We normally have a constant flow of berries in the house once the season starts and we also pick A LOT so that we can jam and freeze berries to (hopefully) last us through to the next season. And while having local, frozen berries for smoothies and desserts is still wonderful, nothing beats biting into a fresh, juicy, local berry. Am I right or am I right?
With the first couple batches of strawberries I picked up, I decided to come up with the perfect strawberry smoothie. As you’ll know if you read my blog or know me at all, I am a huge smoothie lover. HUGE. My whole family loved this delicious concoction I made and we drank it following a delicious dinner featuring local asparagus, another favourite in this house. Plus, this vegan strawberry cream smoothie is healthy and filling, so it would also make a great breakfast smoothie. I’ll stop blabbering on and get to the recipe now! Here is our favourite new vegan strawberry smoothie recipe:
Strawberry Cream Smoothie (Vegan)
(makes one generous smoothie)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Strawberries (you can also use frozen and omit the ice-cubes)
- 1/2 Banana (frozen beforehand is best)
- 2-3 Ice Cubes
- 1/2 cup Milk of you choice (I used almond, but coconut, cashew or soy would also work well)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cream from a can (try to get the thick cream on top – refrigerating the can the night beforehand if possible)
- 1/2-1 tsp Vanilla
- 1-2 tbsps Maple Syrup (optional, depending on how sweet you like your drinks)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until no chunks remain. Pour into a glass and enjoy under the sun, ideally:)
YUM! I can’t wait to try this!! Thanks 🙂
Thanks Tracey, I hope you love it as much as we do!
Jennifer Dawn says
This looks and sounds wonderful! I love that it’s dairy-free too. My youngest has a severe milk allergy, so I’m always looking for dairy-free treats for him. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Jennifer. I hope you both enjoy it:)
Yummy!!! My best smoothies are always the ones with the refrigerated coconut cream tops lol Almost strawberry season, I’ll be trying this for sure 🙂