It’s Meatless Monday! I’ve rounded up some of our favourite kid-friendly meatless monday recipes that have been tested and approved by little ones. We cook a lot of vegetarian and vegan food in our house and we’re always experimenting with new recipes and ingredients and love to try new dishes. On top of basic ideas like a veggie taco night (just cook up some veggies, rice, beans and toppings for a super simple taco night), I’ve created a list of some of our go-to family favourites. Happy meatless monday cooking!
- Oh She Glows Veggie Chili – This is one of the best veggie chili recipes I’ve made. You can add some shredded cheese and sour cream on top if you eat dairy, or it can easily be a great vegan dish by making a delicious cashew sour cream like Angela does in the recipe.
- Cookie and Kate’s Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers – We made these the other night and they are great. They are fairly simple to make and hold up well when cooking, which isn’t always the case with some veggie burgers. Topped with ingredients like tomatoes, avocado and some great micro greens, they make a perfect burger meal. We like to pair this with some oven-baked sweet potato fries or a healthy salad, like this delicious asparagus salad (we used only green asparagus for ours)
- Annie’s Eats Sesame Soba Noodles – This is one of our regular go-to simple dishes when we don’t have a ton of time. It’s full of great ingredients like edamame, red cabbage, carrots and onion, and takes no time at all to make.
- One Green Planet Veggie Sausages – These are the best veggie sausages I’ve ever had. We try not to eat too much tofu, especially non-fermented soy products, so I love that these use beans instead of tofu, as it’s nearly impossible to find prepared non-soy veggie burgers and sausages. They are SO delicious and perfect for a summer barbecue too.
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta – This has become a recent favourite, especially in warmer months (and when asparagus is in season here) as it’s such a refreshing and simple pasta dish. It takes no time at all and is always a hit.
- Oh She Glows Vegan Lasagna – I love this lasagne recipe! If you want to use dairy cheese, you can easily swap out the recommended vegan cheese, which we have done. It’s a pretty simple recipe but tastes delicious and we always have leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Dreena Burton’s Teriyaki Quinoa – This is an incredibly easy and quick dish to make up. Pair this with some steamed veggies like carrots and broccoli and you have a hearty, filling meal.
- A Big Salad and Smoothie – Sometimes we’ll make up a big salad, consisting of lettuce, whatever veggies we have on hand, (shredded carrots, onion, corn, etc.), some dried fruit and nuts, boiled eggs, and topped with some hemp hearts. It’s filling, packed full of nutrients, and good for when we’re in a pinch and don’t have a lot of cooking time. We like to have a smoothie with this meal as well, and my date almond energy smoothie or tropical smoothie both go well with a big salad.