Even though we try to meal plan, we inevitably end up with days that end up astray and we just require an easy meal.
It’s the end of the day, no dinner has been started, and we’re wondering what we’re going to eat. The days’ events took longer than expected, we lost track of time, or the kids are just cranky and want to eat. I don’t have time to make a full-blown big meal, but I want to still make something that’s healthy and something that the kids will actually eat. Spaghetti and plain grilled cheese get boring. And even though I’m a sucker for a good grilled cheese sandwich, I know that on its own, it’s not terribly healthy.
Unless you make it healthy.
This will be your new favourite go-to last-minute meal. We all know how good greens are for us, so why not add them to a grilled cheese to make it a healthy grilled cheese sandwich? This green goodess grilled cheese sandwich is a new favourite of all of ours and is the perfect thing to make the next time you need a quick and easy healthy dinner (or lunch) idea.
I cannot believe I’ve waited this long to try out this winning delicious combination. This healthy grilled cheese sandwich is out-of-this-world amazing. It’s also a breeze to make. We often pair our grilled cheese with a yummy smoothie, making it that much healthier.
Along with the essential green ingredients – pesto, spinach and avocado – we mixed two different types of cheeses and used Gay Lea’s spreadable butter. This butter is great because it’s just mixed with a bit of unsaturated canola oil to make it spreadable, and has no added preservatives. It also means that making things like grilled cheese are SO much easier. I love butter, but keeping it out in the summer especially is tricky with all the heat. No one enjoys trying to spread a hard rock of butter over their bread. You can use Gay Lea’s spreadables straight from the fridge.
The next time you’re in a rush, trying to figure out what you can make and have on the table in 15 minutes, try this green goddess grilled cheese. It would also be a perfect sandwich to make when camping.
I’d love to know your favourite way to make grilled cheese. Leave a comment here to let me know. And then do yourself a favour and add this delicious healthy grilled cheese onto your lunch or dinner menu for the week. You won’t regret it!
- 2 slices Bread (a hearty grain bread or sourdough works well, but any will do)
- 3-4 large slices of Monterey jack cheese*
- 3-4 large slices of Old cheddar cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons Pesto
- Handful of fresh spinach (washed and dried)
- 1/2 an Avocado, cut into slices
- Gay Lea Spreadable Butter
- Preheat a pan over medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons of butter.
- Start by spreading pesto on one side of the bread.
- Next, add the cheese, followed by the spinach and then the avocado slices.
- Butter the outside of the second piece of bread and place the sandwich buttered side down in prepared pan.
- Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes, until cheese is starting to melt, and carefully flip over to cook the other side. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted, and then remove from heat.
- Cut, serve and enjoy!
- *You can use any two types of cheese you prefer, but these two are nice and complimentary without being too overpowering. A havarti would also work well here. You can also triple the cheese and add a third kind.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.