Are you looking for the perfect toy for the toddler in your life, but feeling daunted by the mounds of toy options out there? Do you want to get something they will absolutely love to play with, but also make sure it’s safe, and ideally, will get years of fun out of? If you’re a parent, I’m guessing you also want something that doesn’t make 20 different obnoxious noises. Right? Look no further! This list contains 10 of the absolute best eco-friendly toys for toddlers. These choices are all natural, safe, non-toxic toys that little ones from 1 year and up can enjoy. Plus, they will love them! They are also all wonderful for imaginative play and learning. Happy holiday shopping:)
Eco-friendly Toys for Toddlers
- Cate and Levi Hand Puppet – These hand puppets from Canadian company Cate and Levi are so adorable. Made out of wool, they are all made in good ol’ Canada with recycled wool that has been treated in an eco-friendly process. Each one is unique (awesome), there are tons of different types (from animals to people), and they are so great for imaginative play, including…puppet shows, of course!
- Hape Push and Pull – Little Red Rider – This walker and ride-on toy is awesome and can be fun for toddlers from 12 months to 3 years. First, it can be used to help little ones who are first learning to walk. Next, it also serves as a foot-powered rider and has four-wheel drive, so it’s stable and easy to use. It will help little ones with muscle strength, motor skills, and balance. If you’d prefer a rocking horse, Hape also makes a really cute little rocking horse .
- Grimms Stacking and Nesting Bowls – I am in love with all of Grimm’s gorgeous, German-made sustainable toys. This amazing yet simple open-ended toy can be used for anything from stacking, nesting and sorting, to pretend play kitchenware, filling/emptying, and more. These bowls are finished with non toxic water-based stains and food-grade plant oils, so they are totally safe for little ones still chewing on everything. This toy will encourage motor development, coordination, creative thinking & spatial abilities. They’re a great first toy for a young toddler. Grimms Rainbow Stacker is another amazing open-ended toy that will provide hours of imaginative play. Beyond stacking, the rainbows can be used as arches, bridges, fences, houses, or anything the children want!
- Uncle Goose Classic ABC Blocks – These sustainable basswood blocks are amazing when it comes to look and quality. They contain letters and a variety of animals, numbers, and symbols. They’re handmade in the USA and printed with non-toxic, lead-free child safe inks. They’re pricier than other sets, for sure, but they’re the sort of block set that will be passed down for generations.
- Hape Pound and Tap Bench with Slide Out Xyolophone – This awesome little number is essentially two toys: a fun pounding game (we all know toddlers love these!) and a musical instrument. The price is good, it’s sustainable wood with non-toxic finishes, and it’s great quality.
- Greenstart Stacking and Nesting Blocks – This classic developmental toy is made entirely from Earth-friendly, recycled materials! Ten sturdy boxes to stock, build, and nest feature beautiful illustrations and enriching content for hours of fun and learning. We have a set of cardboard boxes like these that K still loves to use to build towers with. These blocks also include different early-learning concepts on each side: numbers, letters, shapes, colours and baby animals. Kids also loe to stack them inside each other. So much learning in one toy!
- Plan Toys Creative Blocks – This is the nicest block set I’ve seen so far. They get a lot of play in our home and have been great for K since he was about 2 years old. They’re solid, sturdy, eco-friendly, and provide lots of imaginative free play.
- Play Silks – I included these in my eco-friendly preschooler toys list, but they are also perfect for toddlers. They are an amazing toy that can be used for just about anything. You can buy smaller ones or, if you’re looking for something larger that can also be used as a canopy, this one is gorgeous.
- Stockmar Beeswax Block Crayons – These awesome crayons are the perfect size and shape for little hands to hold and the best beginner crayons. They literally last for years! We love our Stockmar beeswax crayons so much, and while K has moved up to the stick crayons, he still uses the block ones, even if it’s for imaginative play! They’ve served as walls, a house, a road, etc.
- Battat Fish and Splish Bath Set – We really enjoy Battat Toys and this fun set for the bath will make bath time so enjoyable for little ones. It comes with a floating boat with captain, assorted toys, fishing hook and fish, nesting cups, an octopus comb and a whale nail brush. It’s also BPA-free and free of lead and phthalates.