Have you ever checked out the baby toy aisle in a big toy store? It’s huge. Overflowing with SO many toys. From simple balls to big, flashing toys that make lots of noise, there is no shortage of baby toys. But what about ones that are not only fun for babes, but also natural and safe? When I was pregnant for the first time, I felt so overwhelmed with everything available, especially when it comes to baby essentials. Toys were no exception. But I knew I wanted simple toys that were eco-friendly. Why? Because little ones chew EVERYTHING. I need to make sure that whatever is going in their mouth is free of any nasty toxins and is also safe to chew on. I also love to support companies that have sustainable practices. Our favourite eco-friendly baby toys are all pretty simple, mostly wooden and also have great learning potential. Truthfully, babies don’t need all those bells and whistle; those fancy toys with all the lights and sounds can be over-stimulating for such little people. The simpler the better. Below is a list of eco-friendly baby toys that can be found online.
Photo credit: BillionPhotos.com
- Haba Rattle – This is a great simple baby rattle made out of natural wood with all non-toxic finishes.
- Hape Twister Rattle – I love this simple rattle by one of our favourite toy companies – Hape – that is perfect for little hands to grasp. It’s made of sustainable wood and water-based paints.
- Haba Clutching Toy Sunni – Babies just love this sunshine clutching toy that is completely natural with non-toxic paints.
- Manhattan Toy Skwish – This is a huge favourite among babies for its fun design and easy to grasp shape, which is great for gross motor skills. It’s also made from sustainable wood with a non-toxic, water based finish.
- Plan Toys Bunny Rattle – We’re big Plan Toys fan and, like all their other wooden toys, this rattle is made from sustainable rubber wood and all colours are made from vegetable dyes.
- Plan Toys Preschool Baby Car – Another good one by Plan Toys, this simple car is sure to please little ones once they are moving a bit more and becoming more interactive.
- Haba Allegro Ball – We love our Allegro stacking ball. It’s wonderful for sensory skills with the different fabrics and crunchy pieces and it can then be used as a stacker and rolled up into a ball for rolling. It has so many great uses and can be used for many baby stages.
- Plan Toys Roller – This has been a favourite of baby K’s since the beginning. It’s a great simple wooden roller with different colours that she loves to look at.
- Haba Rainbow Clutching Toy – Another winner from Haba, I love this clutching toy with little mirrors. It’s also wonderful for teething babes.
- Green Toys Stacking Cups – These stacking cups, made from recycled plastic, are a big favourite in our house and one of the few toys that have made it from baby-hood up until preschooler age as K still loves to play with them – they’ve moved to the bath time bucket now. They’re an awesome learning toy with multiple uses and also perfect for bringing along on trips or travels.
- Hape Double Bubble – These nesting bead toys are so awesome for babies from about 6 months and up. We have a large one that K enjoys playing with still, and this one by Hape is also a great size for travelling with.
- Dandelion Organic Frog Rattle – Made from organic cotton, Dandelion rattles are soft and easy to grasp for tiny hands. Since they’re made from organic materials, they’re also a good one for teething babes to chew on.
- Finn Emma Organic Knit Rattle – I just love all of Finn+Emma’s organic knit rattles. More on the expensive side, but they are definitely a toy that will last and can be passed on down.
- Sarah’s Mini Playsilks – Sarah’s playsilks are the best open-ended toy for really any age and babies also seem to love them.
- Baby’s First Blocks – This fun block set is a great starter block set for babies, also teaching sensory learning and safe to chew on if need be!
- Wonderworld Stacking Rings – We love this stacking ring set, which is made from rubber wood and finished with non-toxic water based paints.
- B. Toys One Two Squeeze Blocks – Another great block set, these ones are fun to squeeze and chew and are also BPA-free.
- Plan Toys Dancing Alligator – Plan Toys pull-along toys are wonderful for older babies once they can start to pull things on their own. K, who is 4, still loves to play with his pull toys once in a while.
Do you have a favourite eco-friendly baby toy that didn’t make the list? I’d love to know what it is.