Do you know the muffin man, or woman? In our home, it’s me. I love to bake muffins and to experiment with different flavours and recipes. I try to use local fruits when in season, so summer is an awesome muffin-making time in our home with the abundance of local fruits. This batch combines two of my favourite fruits: blueberries and peaches. These blueberry peach muffins were a big hit and were eaten up right away. I need to make up another batch asap! They are healthy, nutritious and definitely delicious. They’re also vegan-friendly, as I used chia instead of eggs.
Blueberry Peach Muffins
- 1 1/4 Cup Spelt Flour *
- 1/2 Cup Oat Flakes or Rolled Oats
- 1/4 Cup Coconut or Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Chia + 6 tbsp Water
- 1/2 Cup Milk of your choice (I used almond)
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Peaches, diced (I used 2 large)
- 3/4 Cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
*Note: You can substitute spelt flour for all-purpose if you don’t have spelt.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 12 muffins tins, or line them with cupcake liners. I like to use coconut oil to grease them as I find it ensures nothing ever sticks to the tins.
- Next, prepare the chia mixture. In a small bowl, mix the chia with the water and let it sit aside for about 5 minutes to gel together.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and sea salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the wet ingredients together: milk, maple syrup, canola oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients as well as the chia mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly until no clumps remain.
- Stir in the peaches and blueberries.
- Scoop the mixture evenly into the muffin tins.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Check them at 20 minutes and if the toothpick still comes out moist, put them back in for another 5 minutes.
- Gobble these blueberry peach muffins up with your favourite tea for the perfect morning or afternoon snack.