Blueberries. Smoothies. Cheesecake.
Three of my favourite things. The first two are healthy. The third? Well, not so much. But, everything in moderation, right? I’ve also been experimenting with making some awesome raw and vegan cheesecakes, and I have to say, they are delicious! But still, I have to admit, nothing can beat the real thing for me. I’ve never actually tried to combine my love of smoothies and cheesecake before, and after coming up with this amazing blueberry cheesecake smoothie recipe, I can’t believe I’ve waited so long! This smoothie is seriously delicious. It is creamy and full of flavour, with just the right amount of sweetness. I made mine as a mid-afternoon snack, but it could also totally work as a dessert smoothie. I used Gaylea’s Nordica 2% cottage cheese. You could go light with 1% but I think the full 2% really makes it that much richer.
I’ve also never thought to use cottage cheese in sweets and desserts before, until recently, when I made the most amazing (and easy!) salted caramel chocolate pudding with smooth cottage cheese. It’s an awesome way to get protein – the 1/2 cup I used in this smoothie has 15 grams of protein! And it also has a good amount of calcium, which is great because my poor teeth are still recovering from my last pregnancy (my babies tend to take all my calcium in utero). It’s also gluten and nut-free so it would be an excellent smoothie treat to serve at a birthday party with any allergies. K is obsessed, and I mean obsessed, with everything blueberry. Every year for his birthday, he requests something blueberry, whether it’s blueberry cake, blueberry cupcakes or blueberry pie. And after trying this blueberry cheesecake smoothie, he’s now added it onto his birthday party wish list haha. I love my little blueberry monster.
I can’t wait for blueberries to come into season so we can make this every day. I mean, err, every week. For now, I used frozen organic wild blueberries, but either will do – regular or wild, fresh or frozen. Give it a try. I can’t wait to hear what you think of it.
Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Blueberries (you can also substitute for fresh – just add a little extra ice)
- 1 cup Milk (I used regular coconut milk but any kind will work here)
- 1/2 medium-large Banana
- 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Rolled Oats (coud also use quick oats here)
- 1/2 cup Ice
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup (add a bit more if you like things very sweet)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Graham crackers (crushed up for the topping)
- Add all ingredients, except for graham crackers, into a blender and blend until smooth. You might have to stop and scrape down the sides a couple of times if you’re not using a high-powered blender.
- Pour into glasses and top with crushed graham crackers. Drink up. And repeat.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
For more smoothie goodness, come see my delicious smoothie board