With Autumn fully underway, we are enjoying the gorgeous weather, beautiful changing leaves, and abundance of fresh, crisp apples and juicy, local pears. Fall is definitely one of my favourite times of the year. I am a big fan of apple crisps and crumbles. BUT I also love a good pie. So, why not combine the two? I came up with this delicious apple pear crumble pie recipe years ago when I started out making a pie only to realize I didn’t have enough dough for a top pie. No worries, a crumble topping would do! Now, this is my favourite seasonal sweet dish to make in the Fall. It’s a delicious combination of my two favourite cooler weather fruits, it’s healthy, it’s sweet and yummy, and it also happens to be vegan!
Apple Pear Crumble Pie (Vegan)
- 6-7 cups peeled and chopped Apples and Pears (mix)
- 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Sugar (Cane sugar or coconut sugar are both great here)
- 1 prepared Pie Shell
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Start by peeling and chopping the pears and apples. Chop them into large diced pieces. I used a mix of pears and apples – about 3 cups each.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the fruit with the remaining filling ingredients.
- Toss the apples and pears thoroughly to ensure they are well coated with the mixture.
- Add the filling ingredients to your uncooked pie shell. I had one ready, but you can use either store bought or your own homemade one.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, coconut flour and chopped pecans.
- Add in the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, seat salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spoon topping over top of the apple and pear mixture so every part of the pie is covered.
- Cover with tinfoil, poking a few holes in top for air. Place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove tinfoil and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Don’t let the topping overcook too much. Insert a toothpick or fork through one of the apple pieces to ensure it is soft. Once it’s soft, your crumble pie is ready.
- Serve with you favourite vanilla ice cream and enjoy! *We used Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice Cream and it goes perfectly with this pie.