I’m Megan, the HEN Mama. I’m a mom, wife and freelance writer/editor who loves all things green. I’m passionate about healthy, eco-living and love to share tips and products with other families. I started HEN (healthy, eco-friendly, natural) Family as a way to share information and tips with others looking to live a greener lifestyle, so you don’t have to sift through the mounds of info and products out there yourself. Here you will find advice on living naturally in all areas, from pregnancy, baby gear and raising kids, to green-cleaning, reviews on my favourite natural products, recipes for delicious healthy food, and fun DIY projects and crafts. Let’s be honest though: living green isn’t always easy. Which is why I try to focus on easy and simple solutions for the everyday family. Whether its a DIY all-purpose cleaner, a simple muffin recipe or the most affordable green baby gear, I hope to help you green your lifestyle one little step at a time, in whatever way works for you and your family.
Our family consist of myself, my talented and creative Carpenter hubby, our energetic, curious and adventurous preschooler boy, and our busy, chubby baby girl. Follow along with me as I work on “greening” my family’s life, one smoothie at a time.
Still reading? Here are some random facts about me:
- I’ve been a writer since I first learned how to write. I “self published” my own book when I was 8.
- I have a true love of bookstores, especially quirky, independent ones, or used bookstores. One of the best I’ve ever been in was across the world in Sydney, Australia.
- I always have at least 2 drinks on the go, often three, and one always includes a cup of tea or a smoothie. I’m pretty sure I never completely finish any drink though…something about that last sip!
- I’m a proud Canadian, but I can’t stand the cold. I’d live in my Birkenstocks all year round if I could.
- There’s nothing like old school vinyl. A perfect night for me involves an old jazz record playing, a glass of red wine & good conversation with my hubby or close friends.
- I used to devour books as a child and miss having all that free time to read. I still have a massive stack on my bedside table that takes me ages to get through. If I had one whole day free, I’d probably spend it reading.
- I love to travel. Years ago before we “settled down”, my hubby and I spontaneously bought tickets to Australia through an awesome seat sale, quit our jobs in Toronto, sold everything in our apartment & spent 8 months living out of our backpacks trekking across the South Pacific. Some of my happiest & most content memories were made on the little islands in the South Pacific that we visited & in the rainforest of tropical North Queensland – yes, Australia has rainforest!
- Even though I long to travel, there’s really no place like home. What I realized in our travels, is that I need a home base. That familiar chair, cozy blanket, special tea mug, my own bed…
- I’m a beach person. Through and through. One day I will live on a tropical island. Or at least near the ocean.
- I find gardening therapeutic. Digging in the soil, watering the plants, watching those seeds grow into vegetables that we can pick straight from our own backyard garden. I don’t even mind pulling the weeds!
- I used to be hugely social. Hosting parties was my thing & themed ones were my specialty. But since having kids (or maybe it’s just from getting older), I’ve become a bit of an introvert. Maybe it’s that whole lack of alone time. Thankfully, the worlds of writing and blogging makes great places for an introvert:)
Writing and Editing Services
I’ve been a professional writer and editor for over a decade now, writing on a wide variety of topics in different mediums for numerous organizations and companies, including creative agencies, non-profits, and large businesses. Please check out my Work with Me page for more information on writing services as well as product reviews.